Thursday, August 20, 2026

FILLED WITH THE SPIRIT

One of the realities of my forty-five-year pilgrimage with Jesus is that the Holy Spirit tends to leak out of me. Take for example, when I’m driving down Highway 41 in Fort Myers, Florida, and all my friends from up north are visiting us during that time of the year we call “Season.” They have the audacity to drive the speed limit in the fast lane when I’m running late for a meeting to do the work of God, and sometimes in my frustration the Spirit leaks out, and then the words come out of my mouth that a follower of Jesus ought not to say. Am I alone? God wants to help the Holy-Spirit-leaking Christ followers like us.

I love this translation of Ephesians 5:18 from The Amplified Bible: “Do not get drunk with wine, for that is wickedness (corruption, stupidity), but be filled with the [Holy] Spirit and constantly guided by Him.” I think it’s awesome that the translation put the word “stupidity” in there. It’s like Paul is saying to us that there are two kinds of spirits, the spirits of wine and the Holy Spirit. We can choose to be drunk or intoxicated with either. To those being intoxicated with wine, he’d say, “That’s stupid.” Instead, Paul invites apprentices of Jesus who leak the Holy Spirit to be “filled with the Holy Spirit and constantly guided by Him.” 

-- Jorge Acevedo in “Everybody Needs Some Cave Time: Meeting God in Dark Places”


#6439

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing your comments about a quote or about this ministry. Please include your name and what state or country you live in. If you do not have a registered profile, you can login using the "Anonymous" tag in the "Comment as:" box below.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.